Q. I am writing on behalf of a family member. This young girl has been diagnosed with Crohn's disease. She is suffering and spent several weeks in the hospital recently. The doctors have told her parents that they want to treat her with some kind of chemotherapy, but they prefer a less invasive treatment. The doctor's told them they'd see them when she needed emergency surgery. So, I am hoping that you can recommend a regime that would be helpful for her. Many thanks. I look forward to hearing from you.
A. Suggestions to Naturally Relieve Crohn's Disease by Dr. Ben
When properly treated, Crohn's disease can be kept in nearly full remission. I have had numerous patients completely resolve their condition with this protocol.
This is the best protocol I've had with Crohn's. It is the best protocol when followed. That is an important point. One must adhere to it and not slack off. Inflammatory bowel diseases strike hard and fast. Unless they are constantly being quieted down and healed, the flare ups will reoccur.
The Crohn's supplement protocol is four part:
1. Restore healthy bacteria which is essential to normalizing the local intestinal gut immunity and facilitating nutrient absorption.
2. Reduce inflammation which is essential in healing. Cannot begin healing fully without reducing the inflammation.
3. Repair the intestinal lining which reduces the recurring flare ups, and in the long run, stop them altogether.
4. Maintain low dose probiotic, anti-inflammatory and repair nutrients to keep the intestines healthy.
Here are the recommended nutrients:
Fish Oil - 1 tablespoon twice daily with meals. Given that this is a young girl, I recommend that she consider Frutol. It is very tasty, like pineapple/orange, and also contains prebiotics which are essential to proper bacteria growth in her digestive tract. There will be no problem with taste on this product.
Saccharomyces boulardii - this is one of the most researched strains of bacteria today. There are over 200 research articles looking how Saccharomyces boulardii works with various intestinal conditions. Overwhelming evidence supports its use with Crohn's and other inflammatory bowel disorders.
Here is one of many that I found at www.pubmed.org:
S. boulardii shows promise for the prevention of C. difficile disease recurrences; treatment of irritable bowel syndrome, acute adult diarrhea, Crohn's disease, giardiasis, human immunodeficiency virus-related diarrhea; but more supporting evidence is recommended for these indications. The use of S. boulardii as a therapeutic probiotic is evidence-based for both efficacy and safety for several types of diarrhea.
McFarland, L. V. "Systematic review and meta-analysis of Saccharomyces boulardii in adult patients." World J Gastroenterol 16(18): 2202-22. Ahead of print. 2010
Consider taking 3 capsules of Saccharomyces Boulardii during dinner and 3 more at breakfast. Do this for 1 month and then taper down to 2 capsules during dinner for another month. After the 2nd month, take a maintenance dose of 1 capsule with dinner. During acute flare ups of diarrhea, increase the dose of Saccharomyces Boulardii back up to 3 capsules until the flare up subsides, which is typically 3 days.
Multistrain high potency probiotics - again, a lot of research showing efficacy in reducing relapses and occurrences of inflammatory bowel diseases, such as Crohn's.
One study: A reduction in relapses has also been demonstrated in pouchitis patients treated with a multispecies probiotic.
Goossens, D., D. Jonkers, et al. (2003). "Probiotics in gastroenterology: indications and future perspectives." Scand J Gastroenterol Suppl(239): 15-23.
Another: There are also studies indicating that probiotics may be useful for prevention of respiratory infections in children, dental caries, irritable bowel syndrome, and inflammatory bowel disease. Goldin, B. R. and S. L. Gorbach (2008). "Clinical indications for probiotics: an overview." Clin Infect Dis 46 Suppl 2: S96-100; discussion S144-51
The most complete multistrain probiotic that is high potency is ProBiota 12 Powder.
ProBiota 12 Powder contains 12 strains of well-researched probiotics and has a potency of 200 billion CFU's per 1/2 teaspoon.
Given that the colon typically has more than 1 trillion bacteria at any moment, it requires a massive amount of probiotics and numerous strains to balance the bacteria in the proper direction. This is why ProBiota 12 is recommended for most digestive conditions.
Consider taking 1/2 teaspoon of ProBiota 12 Powder for 2 weeks with dinner and then reduce to 1/4 teaspoon for another 2 weeks.
I find the taste quite good and so does my wife and my youngest child; however, my two oldest boys do not like it. It tastes of chicory which is slightly nutty. You may mix ProBiota 12 in a bit of applesauce of mix it in the Frutol. I do not recommend mixing it in a glass of juice as it will not mix well due to its natural protective coating. The natural protective coating protects it from being destroyed in the stomach acid.
If she prefers to swallow capsules, she will need to take 4 capsules in order to meet the 200 billion suggested dose. ProBiota 12 capsules are a good maintenance support product to keep the bacteria balanced in her digestive tract. Consider having her take 1 capsule with dinner every day. During acute flare ups, go back to the powder at 200 billion or take 4 capsules. The powder is more economical.
An anti-inflammatory with intestinal repair nutrients is needed as well.
The product I prefer is the powder form of Bio-Inflammatory, however, I do not think she will like it. The taste is not good. Instead, the Bio-Inflammatory capsules will work quite well.
Consider taking 2 capsules of Biogenesis Bio-Inflammatory Plus when waking up and 2 capsules before bed. Try without food for a better anti-inflammatory effect. If her stomach does not handle it well, she may have some soup or steamed rice/vegetables with it.
The last product needed is potent intestinal repair. Unless the intestines get repaired, they will be susceptible to further damage and more easily aggravated.
Consider taking 2 teaspoons of Intestinal Repair Complex by Biogenesis in the morning on rising and at night time before going to sleep. It is best taken away from meals. It may be mixed in applesauce or juice. It does not taste that bad - it is more sweet due to the licorice, althea and xylitol.
- Frutol: 1 tablespoon with food in the AM and PM
- Saccharomyces Boulardii: Consider taking 3 capsules of Saccharomyces Boulardii during dinner and 3 more at breakfast. Do this for 1 month and then taper down to 2 capsules during dinner for another month. After the 2nd month, take a maintenance dose of 1 capsule with dinner. During acute flare ups of diarrhea, increase the dose of Saccharomyces Boulardii back up to 3 capsules until the flare up subsides, which is typically 3 days.
- ProBiota 12 Powder: Initially, consider taking 1/2 teaspoon of ProBiota 12 Powder for 2 weeks with dinner and then reduce to 1/4 teaspoon for another 2 weeks.
- ProBiota 12 capsules: After the first month of ProBiota 12 Powder, taper down to ProBiota 12 capsules and take 1 capsule with dinner. In the event of a flare up, switch back to the 1/2 teaspoon of ProBiota 12 Powder.
- BioInflammatory Capsules: take 2 AM and 2 PM best away from food if her stomach can handle it. If not, eat some food with them. Continue taking at that dose for 1 month and then taper down to 2 capsules in the AM until no more flare ups occur. Then after that, take a maintenance dose of 1 capsule a day in the AM. If flare ups occur, go back up to higher dose and then taper back down.
- Intestinal Repair Complex: take 2 teaspoons in the AM on rising and 2 teaspoons in the PM on going to sleep for 1 month. Then taper down to 1 teaspoon in the AM and PM. Then take a maintenance dose of 1 teaspoon in the PM. If acute flare up occurs, go back to stronger dose and then taper down again.
With this protocol, she will find massive relief most likely.
Begin this protocol immediately. Given that there are live bacteria in this protocol, the order has to be shipped at least priority mail. Please choose Priority Mail on checkout. We can also express mail it. Our shipping costs shown online include our huge discounts passed onto us from FedEx and UPS. USPS does not offer discounted rates.
- Apply the Castor Oil packs as I described in a previous email.
- reduce the intake, or stop altogether for one month, wheat and dairy products. These products are pro-inflammatory.
- eat foods which are already cooked such as soups, broths, steamed vegetables, or ground up. This allows for easier absorption of nutrients. It is difficult for her to absorb nutrients now with her inflamed intestine.
Once the horrific flare ups cease, she needs to be on a multivitamin. I recommend Pure Encapsulations' PediaNutrients:
She is likely very low in Vitamin D3 as her absorption of fats is next to nil. Once the flare ups cease, have her take 1 drop of Vitamin D3 three days a week. I highly recommend she get a vitamin D3 blood test. She should also go outside and expose her bare arms and legs to the sun for 20-40 minutes a day - in rotation to avoid burns.
Do not do it all at once as that will likely cause burns due to our depleted atmospheric ozone layer.
With the Liquid D3 - remember - one DROP - not dropperful. It tastes just like olive oil so no concerns about taste.
Should you have any questions, please do ask.
Keep me posted how she does.
P.S. If you just read this article, share your thoughts and comments. What works for you? What didn't work? Tips, traps? Your ideas are welcomed!
P.P.S. ADULT Crohn's Natural Treatment Protocol:
- Exchange the BioInflamatory Capsules with BioInflammatory Powder. Take 1/2 scoop of BioInflammatory Powder twice a day in a glass of water or juice. Add 2 teaspoons of the really tasty Finest Pure Fish Oil (instead of Frutol), frozen blueberries and a full sachet of HLC Intensive Sachets (also very tasty).
- Make sure to take a full HLC Intensive sachet for two weeks. You will need 2 containers of HLC Intensive Sachets. After the 2 weeks of HLC Intensive Sachets, switch to the ProBiota 12 capsules and take 1 capsule at dinner time as a maintenance dose.
- After a week of dosing 1/2 scoop of BioInflammatory Powder, move up to 1 scoop of BioInflammatory Powder twice a day.
- Add 2 teaspoons of Finest Pure Fish Oil to the smoothie. It adds great flavor, consistency and a potent anti-inflammatory to calm Crohn's.
- Do this every day for 2 months. The flare up should disappear.
- Maintain the smoothie at 1 scoop once a day to keep flare ups away. Increase or decrease the dose as needed.
- Do not smoke cigarettes! They make Crohn's worse.
Disclaimer: All information relating to medical and health conditions,
products and treatments, is for informational purposes only. The information
provided is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists
between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician.
Disclaimer: All information relating to medical and health conditions, products and treatments, is for informational purposes only. The information provided is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician.