Q. I enjoyed meeting Dr Ben at the Dr Oz Event at Bastyr University. I am looking for supplements to boost energy for a systemic lupus female with kidney and anemia of chronic disease. So no zinc or magnesium.
Good to meet you as well! It is always good to
go back to Bastyr and experience how it is growing and the people
behind the scenes making it all happen.
Before I can suggest anything for supporting energy in an individual with SLE, I need to know more.
There are numerous things which can support energy; however, her fatigue can be caused from numerous things:
- poor dietary intake and lack of effective protein and complex carbohydrates. This is tricky with kidney disease but proteins need to be ingested in some form. And in early kidney disease, protein intake is fine.
- concurrent diseases such as Hashimoto's Thyroiditis which is a common 'rider' with other autoimmune diseases especially in women.
- environmental exposures can make one fatigued such as molds, formaldehyde, foam mattresses, lack of air in the home, car exhaust and so on.
- lack of exercise or physical activity.
- medications that she is currently taking can be significantly contributing to fatigue.
Thus, it is tough to state which supplement will help her fatigue.
To me, I immediately think of supporting adrenals first (what naturopathic physician doesn't?!), fish oil, vitamin D3, DHEA, filtered water, amino acids, probiotics and a strong autoimmune nutrient formulation like Sterol 117.
If the autoimmunity can be controlled, then her fatigue should lessen as well.
A potent probiotic is needed as most, if not all, autoimmune diseases have an underlying major imbalance in digestive flora.
I highly suggest starting with a potent probiotic, evaluating dietary intake, adrenal support, fish oil, testing DHEA and Vitamin D3 levels, eating organic and drinking only filtered water.
I just brought in a 12 strain 200 billion per 1/2 teaspoon probiotic formulation. It is the most potent that I have found and having 12 strains of probiotics is research supported to be more effective than the few strain probiotics that we see so often. We will have it online soon. Once up, I will send you a link. [edit: we now have this multi-strain probiotic in stock. Click here to see Probiota 12]
Consider also the lab test called ION Profile by Metametrix.
I can order and go over the results with her if she cannot get her own physician to order.
Once I know more, I can suggest specific products.
Should you have further questions, do let me know.
Keep HealthE. Stay in touch:
Disclaimer: All information relating to medical and health conditions, products and treatments, is for informational purposes only. The information provided is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician.