Hi Dr. Ben,
I was recently chatting live with Jatone and she suggested that you might be able to answer a quick question for me.
My son has an infection from an ingrown toenail and when a medical
doctor saw him recently, he prescribed Keflex for 10 days.
Is there anything natural that I can give my son? (I would prefer he not take antibiotics.)
If the infection has caused fever, the toe feels quite hot and very painful to touch with red streaks moving up the foot, antibiotics are needed.
Before I get into the recovery from antibiotics, let’s assume he does not have any of those symptoms of fever, very painful to touch, hot or red streaks.
In that case:
- Get a basin to soak his foot and fill with comfortably hot water. Fill to the point that his foot is completely covered.
- Add 2 cups of Epsom salt to it and stir well. I recommend adding the Epsom salts to very hot water and mixing until they are dissolved before putting them into the basin.
- Soak 2 to 4 times a day for 20 minutes each time. Have him watch cartoons or read a book or check email, Twitter, anything.
- Keep an eye on it. It should appear improved by next morning or at the latest 48 hours.
- After soaking it, gently squeeze the area to try and get out any pus and debris.
- After doing that, apply a liquid vitamin D3 and Manuka Honey to the area and then apply a bandage. Keep it clean. Manuka Honey can be found here.
- Have him take 1,000 IU of Vitamin D3 per 25 pounds of body weight. The Vitamin D3 will help support his immune system. We have a liquid vitamin D3 which he will have no problem taking. Vitamin D360 by Seeking Health contains
2,000 IU per drop.
If antibiotics are taken, then I recommend your son take Saccharomyces Boulardii by Seeking Health. This is a beneficial yeast which helps prevent antibiotic-associated diarrhea. Take 1 capsule in the AM on rising from bed and another capsule upon going to sleep. Take it the whole time while on antibiotics.
Once the antibiotics are over, give your son, if above 2 years old, 1 capsule of ProBiota 12 by Seeking Health at dinner time for one month. ProBiota 12 will help restore the beneficial bacteria back in his digestive system thereby improving his digestion and immune function. Without beneficial probiotics being introduced back, his digestive tract will suffer from an overgrowth of harmful bacteria such as yeast and other gram negative bacteria. These cause immune deficiency, digestive disturbances, gas/bloating, yeast overgrowth, skin problems and potential autoimmune disease.
If he cannot swallow pills yet, simply open the capsule onto a spoonful of applesauce (organic preferred). Trader Joe’s grocery has good prices on organic applesauce.
If your son is 2 years old or less, use the suggested dose on the label of ProBiota Infant by Seeking Health.
To prevent ingrown toenails, make sure you cut his nails, or he cuts his nails, straight across. Do not cut them rounded at the ended.
These suggestions should help immensely.
Should you have further questions, please submit them at www.NaturalHealthInformation.org
You may also schedule a phone consult: https://my.timedriver.com/9BFXK
Disclaimer: All information relating to medical and health conditions, products and treatments, is for informational purposes only. The information provided is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician.
Thanks so much for your quick response! I was away from my computer until now.
I really appreciate the advice and will give it a try. (My son doesn't have a fever.) It is painful to the touch, though.