A 14 yr old honor student came to our clinic with him mom and dad. He has been ill for over 6 years and recently has been missing school for over a month due to pain and too-frequent bowel movements.
He reports worsening intense stomach pain waking him up at night. His rightfully-concerned mom, who is a registered nurse (RN), tried everything under the sun to no avail. It seemed as we were his mom's last hope.
His current treatment was Prilosec as he had really intense acid burning in his stomach area. It was not working and in fact was making it worse.
I began taking his history from as far back as he could remember.
8 years ago, he went to Mexico with his parents. There he got bad diarrhea which resolved with antiobiotics and flagyl.
2 years after that incident, he began having severe food allergies and couldn't eat much of anything without reacting.
The food allergies only became worse allowing him only to eat rice, water and sometimes some raw vegetables.
Then the intense stomach pain came which began slowly and got to the point where he was waking up at night from it.
Basically, he had severe depletion of beneficial bacteria in his gut. This leads to long term inflammation, recurring illnesses, and food sensitivities. If kept untreated, he likely would have developed colon cancer secondary to all the intestinal inflammation he had.
His case is a classic presentation of what is known as gastroenteritis post-antiobiotics. This is a known medical condition which gets missed time after time after time. Standard medicine has nothing to treat this.
There are no drugs which can repair the gut after being destroyed by medications. His gut needed repair - not meds.
His recommended treatment:
- Continue avoiding known food intolerances
- Eat steamed vegetables for 1 week - do not eat raw vegetables as they are very hard to digest.
- Cook brown rice or oatmeal in 3 times the normal amount of water. Let it cook. Then sip only the water slowly. Do this for a week along with the steamed vegetables.
- Take 1 HLC Synbiotic Intensive Sachet in a glass of water before dinner. Do this for 14 nights and then stop. This is designed to completely overwhelm the harmful gut bacteria with beneficial gut bacteria.
- Twice a day, in a nutrient-rich smoothie, blend:
- 2-3 cups of filtered water
- small handful of overnight-soaked raw almonds (well rinsed)
- 1 tablespoon of cod liver oil (lemon flavored by Nordic Naturals or Carlson's)
- 1/2 scoop of Bio-Inflammatory Functional Food Powder for 1 week. After one week go to 1 full scoop.
- 4 tsp of Intestinal Repair Complex for 1 week and then down to 2 tsp after that.
- 1-2 cups of frozen blueberries or other frozen fruit of your choice
- Drink 8-10 glasses of filtered water a day
- Talk with your doctor about stopping Prilosec. It is likely worsening his symptoms as it is taking his acid production down to nill. He need the stomach acid in order to digest his food, kill harmful bacteria and stimulate the other digestive enzymes
After 2 weeks of this protocol, he and his mom came in to see us. His mom said, "It is magic." He is going back to school and he feels like a normal kid again.
Something to consider:
His mom took him around to MD after MD, year after year without result. We naturopathic physicians are the last ones she takes him to.
It is typical that people try surgery, intense medications and expensive testing first before considering a naturopathic doc.
Don't wait that long people. It may be too late at that point.
Luckily, for this boy, it wasn't.
Research about Healthy Gut Bacteria and Probiotics: