According to a study of nearly 70,000 women over a period of 16 years, researchers found that women who slept 5-6 hours or less had significant weight gain (33 pounds more) compared to women who slept 7 hours or more.
Besides the effects of the hormone leptin on metabolism, my take on this is that lack of sleep also leads to behavioral changes:
- If you are sleeping more, you are not eating as much.
- If you are awake more, you are more exhausted.
- If you are more exhausted, you tend to sugary snacks to keep you going.
- People who sleep less may also tend to be very busy and less organized.
- Busy and less organized means less nutritious meals and eating on the run - fast food.
A side note:
Fibromyalgia sufferers are found to have poor sleep history prior to symptom onset...Read More