Dr Ben, My friend recently tore his ACL (not completely), is there anything aside from surgery that would help him heal? Also, would a torn MCL be similar?
Given his age, associated conditions and desired time to heal, there may be non-surgical treatments for ACL tears.
I advise him to seek advice from a naturopathic physician who specializes in sports medicine. If he asks a surgeon, surgery will be the answer.
Some non-surgical treatment alternatives which may help heal his partially torn ACL or MCL:
- He will need to wear a brace as determined by his doctor
- Limit side to side movements along with knee rotation; only move the leg forward and backward.
- Do Contrast Hydrotherapy on the Knee
- Take ligament support supplements as directed by his doctor.
- Consider MBT shoes once the ACL ligament has healed. The MBT shoe will increase his knee strength.
- Do physical therapy as prescribed by his doctor.
These suggestions for non-surgical treatment for a parital ACL tear may prove useful for him. In the ins...Read More