Cryotherapy - basically freezing off common warts with liquid nitrogen. This works by killing off the blood supply to the area thus depriving the pesky wart of nutrients. Without nutrients, warts and many other things in life...die.
Duct Tape - basically a cool invention designed to do everything. It works by adhering to the wart so strongly that it blocks off the oxygen supply to the wart cells. Without oxygen, warts and many other things in life...die.
Benefits of Duct Tape over Cryotherapy:
- Basically Free.
- No appointment needed.
- Can be done by any person knowledgeable in applying duct tape.
- Kids are more compliant in putting on duct tape...then sending to the doctor and getting burnt.
- Less barbaric.
- More effective.
Simply apply duct tape the wart ensuring that it is completely covering the wart and nearby area. Leave there. Do not remove. The action of duct tape remember is to prevent oxygen getting to the area. If one removes the duct tape, oxygen gets to the area. Simple? Yes. Do people remove the tape? Yes. Don't. Let it sit there. Maximum time for the tape to sit there, according to the study, is 2 months. They state that effectiveness was commonly seen by 1 month.
Source of Study:
- Published in the Archives of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine.
- Researched by Department of Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition, Children's Hospital Medical Center.
- Abstract available in PubMed.
- Full research publication available [I did the footwork so you can have the study!] Adobe PDF file.