What does summer bring? FARMER'S MARKETS!!!
10 reasons to visit your local Farmer’s Market:
1. Community Support--Support your local economy by supporting your local farmers.
2. Freshness--fruits and vegetables are very fresh and often picked that same morning!
3. Yummy--Far superior tasting fruits and vegetables. Why? See #2!
4. Health--The fruits and vegetables are often organic. Organic means you aren’t ingesting harmful pesticides.
5. More Environmentally Friendly--less shipping costs and pollution, less fuel usage, reduced packaging costs
6. Save Money--the prices are often cheaper than the grocery store because the cost of the middleman and pricey shipping are eliminated.
7. Get The Scoop--A great opportunity to talk to the farmer directly about where your food comes from and how it’s produced.
8. Cooking Help--If you see a vegetable you are unfamiliar with and want to give it a try, you can ask the farmer how to prepare it or for recipe ideas.
9. Involve Your Kids--shopping at a farmer’s market is a great way to get your kids involved in cooking and trying new foods. Let them pick out something new to try, then they can help prepare a meal or snack.
10. Discover Variety--farmer’s markets are full of interesting, unusual fruits and vegetables you don’t see in the grocery store.
When perusing your market, remember to consider the The list gives you a good idea about what to spend a little more money on by purchasing organic and what to save your money on by skipping the organic varieties.
Kelly Harrington, MS, RD
Registered Dietitian Nutritionist for Healthy Goods